We live in a home we built ourselves back in the early 80's. Our focus was on energy efficiency, using superior insulation, passive solar gain, solar assisted water heating, and a wood stove for warmth and hot water in the winter. (Our stove, an RSF HF-65, is a massive piece of ingeniously designed welded steel plate, complete with an electric thermostat damper control, 1" stainless steel water coil, and a catalytic combustor unit to reduce emissions.) We have reaped the benefit of these methods for the last 27 years.
But in 2005 our three-storey masonry chimney, with tile flue liners, decided it had reached the end of it's lifetime, and thirty feet of liners collapsed onto the second level hearth slab.
Looking down from the top it was evident that a rigid liner could be used, as it was a straight 28' 4" drop to the basement. Because the old liner was gone, a double-walled replacement was needed.
looking down from top, rubble all cleared
After several evenings on the Internet getting educated in chimney liner systems, I chose the Simpson Dura-Liner system, available locally. This is a stainless steel inner pipe, wrapped with insulation, set in a galvanized exterior casing
The pipes, in four foot lengths, are riveted together on site as each one is lowered down the hole.
down the hatch
To do this, I cut a rectangular hole in the chimney cap.
A line ( an old jib halyard) with a round plywood disk on the end was threaded up through the pipes as they were installed. This would allow me to recover the pipes if I accidentally dropped the whole works down the chimney, a distinct possibility as the weight increased with each pipe added.
riveting pieces together
Once the seventh pipe was riveted on, the retaining clamp and rain cap were installed at the top. The system is designed so that the chimney hangs from the top retaining clamp which is supported by a stainless steel flange covering the chimney opening. I must admit, I wasn't too taken with the idea of the thing just hanging there by the top clamp.
support clamp and spacers
trial fit of cap pieces
clamp for bottom of "T" at base
trial assembly of "T", clamp, and support rods
This design also addressed my other concern: if the free-hanging pipe contracted or expanded while held only from the top, the "T" fitting with the stove pipe thimble could be worked loose .... not a good thing. The way it is supported now holds the thimble from being disturbed. It also makes a more rigid structure, rather the a pendulum-type setup if only the top were held in place.
looking through work hole in basement at clamped-in "T'
With the "T" installed, a hole was drilled for the stove thimble (more dust), the thimble installed, and mortared in.
thimble, and work hole above
I added an 8" square cleanout at the back of the chimney, just below the "T", so the end cap can be removed for chimney sweeping. To keep the dust down I used a bag taped to the chimney wall ... worked well.
drilling hole at back of chimney for inspection cleanout door
casting mortared in to new hole
It's also a good spy hole to keep an eye on the thimble and support clamp assembly.
looking upward through cleanout hole at base of "T" and support
So now the job is finished, cleanup is done, and all that needs doing is to re-install the stove.
work hole bricked in
But before that can be done, the area around the stove needs to be fire-proofed and a new sprinkler system installed ... the old " belt and suspenders" approach again!